The esports world is bracing for the thrill of the Call of Duty League (CDL) 2024 season, set to commence on December 8th. Activision Blizzard has just announced the new season, along with a gripping trailer to tease the high-octane competitive play that lies ahead. Confirmations from Activision have settled the dust on earlier speculations about the season's format, game modes, and schedules for major tournaments.
The Upcoming CDL 2024 Season: Dates and Structures
Esports enthusiasts can mark their calendars as the CDL 2024 season is set to ignite the competitive Call of Duty scene with the following schedule:
- Qualifiers span from December 8th to January 21st, including a holiday break, leading to a LAN event in Boston from January 25th to 28th.
- A set of qualifiers from February 15th to March 17th culminates in a Miami-based LAN event from March 21st to 24th.
- From April 12th to May 12th, teams will battle it out to qualify for the Toronto LAN event scheduled for May 16th to 19th.
- The final stretch of qualifiers runs from May 24th to June 16th, with the LAN event taking place from June 20th to 23rd in Carolina.
In a notable change from previous years, the qualification periods for Majors I and IV will last four weeks, with Majors II and III stretching to five weeks. Teams will face off in seven matches to establish their seeding for the subsequent Major tournaments.
Game Modes and Maps: A Blend of Tradition and Nostalgia
While innovation in game modes might not be the season's highlight, the CDL 2024 will continue with the tried and tested trio: Hardpoint, Search and Destroy, and Control. These game modes have been a staple since the 2020-2021 Cold War season and continue to hold their place due to popular demand.
Notably, the upcoming matches will unfold on some of the most iconic maps from the franchise, dating back to 2009. This selection promises to stir a sense of nostalgia and perhaps an advantage for the seasoned players familiar with these battlegrounds.
Revamped Points System for the CDL 2024 Season
The CDL 2024 introduces a refreshed points system that emphasizes the significance of the Majors. Victories in these tournaments carry more weight, potentially allowing a single Major win to catapult a team into the final championship bracket. The distribution of points is designed to reward winning teams more generously than ever, making each match critical to the team's aspirations for the end-of-year championship.
This new structure awards the teams as follows:
- First place earns a substantial 100 CDL Points, a bump of 35 points.
- Second place secures 75 CDL Points, up by 25 points.
- Third place gains 60 CDL Points, with an increase of 20 points.
- Fourth place gets 45 CDL Points, also up by 20 points.
- Places five and six take home 30 CDL Points, each with an increment of 10 points.
- Seventh and eighth places are not left behind, with each receiving 15 additional CDL Points, an increase of 5 points.
- The ninth to twelfth places do not earn points.
Victories in qualifying matches contribute an additional 10 CDL points for the winner, underscoring the importance of each game in the run-up to the Majors.
With the 2024 season promising such substantial changes and intense action, the Call of Duty esports community is poised for one of the most electrifying seasons to date.