Starfield, the latest space exploration game from Bethesda, offers a massive universe for players to explore. For those wondering about the cross-save functionality between PC, Xbox Series X/S, and Steam, this guide provides a detailed breakdown.
Understanding Starfield’s Cross-Progression
- Play Anywhere Feature: Starfield supports the 'Play Anywhere' feature, allowing cross-save across Xbox Series X/S and Windows 10/11 PCs (via the Microsoft Store).
- Digital Edition Requirement: This functionality is available only with the digital edition of Starfield.
- Cross-Save Details: Players can seamlessly transfer their gameplay data – including story progression, achievements, and unlockables – across the supported platforms.
Key Points About Starfield Cross-Save
- Platform Compatibility: Cross-save is enabled between Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Windows 10/11 PC (Microsoft Store).
- Automatic Data Transfer: All game progress automatically syncs across Microsoft platforms.
- Exclusivity to Digital Purchase: The feature is not available for physical disc purchases.
- Internet Connection: An active internet connection is required, but a Game Pass subscription is not necessary.
Activating Cross-Save in Starfield
- Microsoft Account Sync: Log in with the same Microsoft account on both your PC and Xbox.
- Account Aliases: If the accounts are different, add them as aliases in Microsoft settings to share benefits and subscriptions, enabling cross-save for Starfield.
Cross-Save on Steam: Limitations and Workarounds
- Play Anywhere Unavailability: Steam does not support the 'Play Anywhere' feature, so Steam players cannot share save files between PC and Xbox.
- Streaming on Steam Deck: As a workaround, Steam users can stream Starfield on a Steam Deck through Game Pass to enjoy portable gaming.
For gamers looking to enjoy Starfield across multiple devices, the cross-save feature offers a convenient way to play on both Xbox Series X/S and Windows PC. However, Steam users face limitations due to the lack of 'Play Anywhere' support. Despite these restrictions, the cross-save functionality in Starfield ensures that players can enjoy their space adventures without being tethered to a single device, provided they are within the Xbox and Windows ecosystem.